Saturday, January 16, 2010

Time to Leave La Paz, and getting the boat ready.

   Today is our second day of getting things ready to leave our safe next here in La Paz. We arrived just days before Thanksgiving 2009 and will depart January 16 th around noon.

   We spent Tuesday provisioning (food) and yesterday picking up some boat items plus some prescriptions.  We put some non-skid on the top of the pilot house where we stand to lower the main sail and move the boom. Also, I baked some cookies (necessary) and cleaned the barbeque.  Of course when we took the barbeque off its stay, it had cemented itself on, so it broke the plastic regulator stem which the propane hose attaches itself later we had to walk to town and buy a new one!!! That friends is the nuts and bolts of owning a boat and using it because if it sits in the marina everything lasts longer.
    Today we or I did laundry and we did an errand or two, I remembered something I needed at the fabric store and so we took the shuttle bus to town and a taxi back, after having a fun lunch in downtown La Paz.  There are many places to eat and so far all have been good.  It is sunny and around 82 degrees, however it has started a 3 day blow...with winds up to 20-30 knots our on the Sea of cortez.  Hopefully it will do as the report projects and the wind will  die down on Saturday and won't blow again until next Wednesday and that should give us time to get to our next destination further up into the Sea. That was not our original plan but instead of that we have decided to see some more of the sea before going over to the mainland.

    We have stowed everything, but something will manage to fall on the floor and break or spill. The fridge is as full as we dare. We eat simple things like a small tortilla with cabbage, avocado, salsa or mayo and meat or fish on it maybe some cilantro but it does not last well. We have plenty of fruit and I may make a soup tonight in the pressure cooked.  Don filled the propane tanks, the barbeQ is clean. The water tank is full. We said  good bye to friends here at the marina and announced on the cruiser website that we are taking off today at noon.

    It is hard to leave La Paz and we are not alone in having a hard time taking off.  Others have decided to stay or come back and we will probably return but not this year. The wind has calmed down but the seas will take a couple more days to really calm down but there is another blow coming so we need to be where we are going which is Agua Verde by Friday.  We will stop tonight on the island of Espirtu Santo and then go up the Bahia Evarista to meet friends on s/v Happy Nest.

    It all depends on the internet connections but I suspect it could be a week or two before I am able to write on the blog again.  So chow for now; s/v Little Christian; Don & Jacquie.

No comments:

Post a Comment